Search This Blog

Monday, August 9, 2010

Catching Fire - Book 2 of the Hunger Games



This was, for me, a rare book - I couldn't wait to see what happened, but I also didn't want it to end because I still have a couple of weeks to wait for the next (and final) book.  As I read, pieces kept coming together to form a puzzle that came together perfectly at the end, making me proud of what I had figured out along the way and frustrated (much like Katnis) over the information that was hidden.

Summary: Having won the Hunger Games, Katniss and Peeta should be safe now.  But things are changing quickly; Katniss's gamble may have saved her and Peeta, but it has also started a fire that the Capital is angrily trying to quench - the fire of rebellion. Katniss sees signs of it on their "Victory Tour" and also finds life in District 12 much changed with the arrival of a new Head Peacekeeper.

Now the Capital has thrown another evil curve her way, forcing Katniss and Peeta to fight for their lives once more. Katniss knows that she cannot save them both again.  With threats direct from President Snow hanging over her head, Katniss must choose her path: will she fan the flames of dissent, risking the lives of everyone she loves? Anyone who has read the first book knows this is not an easy decision, but the choice is clear.

The end of Catching Fire is full of shocks and frustration, leaving the reader with plenty of carrots in preparation for the release of Mockingjay. For this reader, that release can't come soon enough.  I'm so glad I pre-ordered!!!


Themes:
Courage
Justice
Freedom
Friendship

Age Appropriateness:
Grades 7 and up

Areas of concern (content):
Foul Language: none
Nudity/Adult Content: none
Violence: yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!