Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mockingjay




It’s here! It’s amazing! Mockingjay lived up to all my expectations and more! I was so excited when I got my pre-order from Scholastic this past week, and devoured the entire book within 36 hours, then passed it on to a friend. Now that I’ve had a few days to absorb the awesomeness, I think I may re-read it when I get it back! (On a side note, for pre-ordering from Scholastic, I got a cool Mockingjay pin just like the one Katniss has worn throughout the books. What a great little extra! I can't wait to wear it to school - I'm sure I'll have students trying to get me to part with it!)


WARNING: If you haven’t read the previous two book, The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, DO NOT read this summary, as it will contain spoilers!

Summary: Katniss Everdeen has been through a lot since that day she stepped forward and took her sister’s place in the Hunger Games; two entrances into the arena, threats from President Snow, the destruction of her home district. After being rescued from the arena during the Quarter Quell, she now finds herself in fabled District 13, a secretive district that might have the power to face the Capital. Like many of the people of district 12, her family and Gale are safe, but the same cannot be said for Peeta, who is a prisoner of President Snow.

Will Kat agree to let the rebels make her their Mockingjay; the public face of the rebellion? Can she learn to trust the other former tributes who are now a part of the rebellion? Can she somehow save Peeta? And finally, the big question: who will win Katniss’ heart in the end?

I've been asked what kind of books the Hunger Games series is.  It doesn't really fit any single definition. The series is so multi-layered, it is adventure, science fiction, social commentary, romance, a coming-of-age story on steroids. It is a war story, a new addition to the exciting world of dystopian fiction, and a tale about the importance of family.  It defies labels and is simply a great tale that leaves you pondering long after the last word has been read.

Mockingjay is full of action and surprises. As she did in the past two books, Collins will occasionally break your heart as you feel the losses and betrayals Katniss has to endure in the quest to be truly free. I had goosebumps more than once, got angry many times, and cried at times when Katniss couldn’t allow herself to do so. Read it!

Themes:
Freedom
Friendship
Rebellion
Loss

Age Appropriateness:
Grades 7 and up

Areas of concern (content):
Foul Language: none
Nudity/Adult Content: none
Violence: Yes, it is a war, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!